01 02 03 From the Corner of the Circle L: Just a Thought! 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Just a Thought!

34
Just a thought from the Circle L!
These two young Cowboys, are the faces our future.
Passing the Circle L Ranch to the next generation, will it happen?

The other day I read an article that Amanda Radke had written in Beef Magazine. I have been thinking about what I read for days now and decided that I would share my thoughts with you today.  I encourage you to read it.  I have listed the link below:

http://beefmagazine.com/blog/no-ranchers-under-age-35-2033-say-it-ain-t-so

After reading Amanda's article I then read the article in Rangeland. Rangeland suggests that there will be no one under the age of 35 in the year 2033!  Wow!  I had to read it over and over to understand their theory.  I have listed the link below for you to read it.

http://www.rangelands.org/whatsnew.shtml

In 2033, I will be 53.  Our oldest son will be 30, our middle son 28, our twins 22!  At those times in their lives I hope and pray that they have a solid foundation.  I want them to be able to choose what they want to do with their lives.  I would love for them to be in agriculture, but I also know that I will support them in any career that they may choose. I know that I work every day to ensure that our kids have an opportunity to come back to our ranch. 

Growing up in Wyoming on a farm that had cattle too, I never dreamed that I would be reading about dying farms and ranches, but the reality of it is that it may happen.  I also never dreamed that I would be blogging about my way of life, or even sharing my life on the web, but I am! I am not ashamed of what we do for a living. In fact, I am proud, and that is why I have made it my goal to educate and promote Ag by telling my story.   
Do I think that there is opportunity in Ag for all young people?  
Yes, I do.  Ag businesses offer a lot of different career opportunities.  I also know the joys and the discomforts of having a ranch.  Some days are hard, but most of them are rewarding. 
Do I think that there will be a shortage of young men and women that want to be involved in Ag?
While I think it is going to be harder to buy into a farm or ranch, I believe that the Ag Community will be thriving in 2033.
Thank you Amanda for your article and thank you for letting me share my thoughts!
"While this report is disturbing, I believe there will still be opportunities for young peopleto get into production agriculture. With that in mind, the typical definition of what makes a farmer or rancher might look a lot different by 2033. Young people will find new, creative ways to diversify. Off-farm incomes will be critical to maintain cash flow. Online, at-home businesses will become more of a mainstay. We are already seeing this trend now, so I only see that expanding in the future." Amanda Radke, Beef Magazine
TBT Photo: Circle L Family Picture 3 years ago.
So much has changed and our kids are growing up.  But we still have
the same goal; to work hard everyday to insure that our kids have the same
opportunity's as we do.   



Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38