01 02 03 From the Corner of the Circle L: Basketball and Ranching..What do they have in Common? 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Basketball and Ranching..What do they have in Common?

34

 Basketball and Ranching..What do they have in Common?

Success isn't given to any one of us. It is earned. On the ranch or on a court.

“MOM…. Where’s my uniform?”

“MOM…. What time is my game?’

“MOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM”

That’s right.  It has been Basketball Season… It’s taken over my life.

Two kids.  Two different teams.  Practices. Games. Travel Time.

Have I mentioned that Basketball has taken over?

Wanna know something though?  I kinda like it.  Actually, I really like it.  I proudly pack my Bulldog folding chair, purple Bulldog shirt to every game and watch our Bulldog kids run up and down the court playing ball. I cheer when they win and cheer when they loose. I am a Bulldog Mom. You could call me a “Basketball Queen Mom” !

While I have been being a "Basketball Mom", I also have had time to think.  Yep, a little scary, but true. I thought I would share with you all a few of my thoughts.

Does basketball and ranching have anything in common?

I have found out they do!!

Basketball & Ranching


You Need A Team~
Basketball is a team event. It takes a team to win a basketball game. It takes all the team members working together to be successful; from the starters to the kids on the bench.

It takes a team to have a successful ranch. Team members include spouses, family members, employees, veterinarians and bankers, and others.

You Need Goals~
Playing Basketball requires the whole team to have the same Goal. Goals that include a State Title in it, right? I mean what basketball team doesn't want to make it to state. When I played high school ball our coach would have a goal meeting. We would write our long term goals and our short term goals out and then post them in our locker room. Everyday we were reminded of our Goals. We would celebrate when we meet a goal, but when we didn't meet our goals, we didn't give up.

Ranching requires goals; both long term and short term goals. My Cowboy and I just had a talk about our ranch goals; long term and short term. It is important that we all have goals and aim for them.

You Have Opportunities~
Basketball provides opportunities for exercise and socializing with friends and acquaintances. Great opportunities come to those who make the most of the small ones.

Exciting opportunities exist in ranching, especially for those who capture the growing consumer interest in healthy food and stewardship of our natural resources.

You Have to Communicate~
Whether on a court or on a ranch, a lack of communication causes breakdowns. Effective communication is key to winning and is a good habit for all players and ranchers.
Communication seems to be a lost art. Yet, for any relationship to be successful, good communication is essential. Ironically, we live in an age in which avenues of communication are limitless. But our increased resources are not leading to more efficient and productive communication.

In ranching or basketball you need to be an effective communicator to many people; players, assistant coaches, school personnel, parents, and other community members.

Personal communication within a basketball family allows a bond of family care and concern to develop. Direct one-on-one communication helps prevent misunderstandings and gives meaning and importance both to the topic and to the individual you’re talking to.

You Have to Be Humble~
It doesn't matter if you play ball or ranch, being humble is an important quality.
In basketball you have to learn to welcome critique and correction from your coaches and teammates.

We have to realize that we all have weaknesses. If we stay humble, we know that we need to improve and so we will want others to show us how to be better. We also know that we need contributions of others to be successful.

Work Ethic~
Whether it is basketball or ranching, work ethic is a must. Having a good work ethic may not always result in success, but it never results in regret. A strong work ethic is vital to a basketball team achieving its goals. A strong work ethic is vital to a successful ranch.  Work ethic includes integrity, sense of responsibility, emphasis on quality, discipline and a sense of teamwork.

You Need Plays~
With basketball and ranching you need "Plays". Good basketball plays have some fundamental characteristics that make them effective and difficult for your opponents to defend.

Ranching is no different. Ranchers have good fundamental characteristics that make them effective in their daily jobs.

Basketballs and Ranching~
Basketball and Ranching need each other. According to the Wilson Sporting Goods Company, it takes one cowhide to make eleven basketballs.

I know I need to wrap this post up. I mean I think I could go on and on but the truth is that I have really appreciated thinking about basketball and ranching. What do you think? Does basketball and ranching have anything in common? Can you relate? Are you a Basketball mom?

Happy Friday, Friends! Do you have a basketball game to attend this weekend? We do and I am going to cheer till the game is over!!

“MOM…. Where’s my uniform?”

“MOM…. What time is my game?’

“MOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM”

The weekend is just beginning. 

I am a Basketball Mom and a Rancher.

It's not the team with the best players that win. It's the
 players with the best team that wins.







Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
~John Wooden

Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38