01 02 03 From the Corner of the Circle L: A Sunday Thought~Contempt in Life 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

A Sunday Thought~Contempt in Life

34

A Sunday Thought~Contempt in Life

Pray to be humble and not hurtful.
Pray that God will help heal old wounds.


Remove from me reproach and contempt; for I have kept thy testimonies.
Psalms 119:22

Have mercy upon us, O LORD, have mercy upon us: for we are exceedingly filled with contempt. 
Psalms 123:3

My thoughts for the last couple of weeks have been on the word: Contempt. I have actually been studying it and praying about it. Contempt is an emotion and it is a strong one at that. Contempt is anger, disgust and plain right cruel.  Contempt can be found in our marriages and in our friendships.
Contempt is the feeling that something or someone is undeserving of consideration or deserving of scorn.

What does contempt sound like? 

If you’ve ever said, “Oh, I would never do that!” when referring to the actions of other people, you have expressed contempt toward their actions.
If you’ve ever said, “Oh, I would never be like that!”, then you’ve expressed contempt toward a person.
If you have ever been made fun of or made fun of your spouse/friend, then you have expressed contempt toward your friend/spouse.

What does contempt look like?
If you have ever rolled your eyes, you have shown signs of contempt.
If you have no empathy, you have shown signs of contempt.
If you are the person who felt the contempt/disgust, you are likely to choose to leave the relationship, to spit it out from your life-space.
If you have ever felt like you have been treated in this manner, you also are likely to exit the relationship.  That’s because most people react to being treated contemptuously with the thought “If you don’t want me, then I don’t want you!”

What does contempt feel like?
If you have ever felt hopeless, you have felt contempt.
If you have ever had to questions your friendship or marriage, you have felt contempt.


WOW, right!!!

I am guilty, what about you?

Contempt is damaging to all relationships including parenting.  When we journey down the road to contempt, we put our friendships, including marriage at risk for a disaster.

So what can we do about it?

Pray to be humble and not hurtful. Pray that God will help heal old wounds.
We can use, "I" statements. "I feel frustrated when......" or "My feelings are hurt when..............."
Never assume.  If a friend or husband does something that annoys you or hurts you, don't assume he/she is doing it on purpose.  Talk to them and tell them your feelings, but don't blame them for purposelessly being hurtful.
We all have faults, right? We need to pay attention to our own faults and practice compassion.
Listen to understand. When talking to another person, appreciate what they are saying.
Be positive. Being a positive person enhances our relationships. Appreciation, gratitude, affections, agreements, interest and smiles go a long way.
Be respectful.
Talk. Talk. Talk. Don't let it fester. Talk about your feelings. Talk about your stress. Don't attack. Don't assume.

My Sunday Thought, Contempt, has been a long time coming.  I can not lie. I have read and prayed about it.  It has made me take a step back on my own life and realize that I need to fix myself.

Thanks for all the support in my blog. I write about my own personal thoughts.

Happy Monday!!  

Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38